Sunday 8 May 2011

Black Swan

If I were to take the Ballet fashion trend and style up a fashion shoot, I'd be thinking about it's connotations a little more closely. Everyone has already seen the trends; the floaty chiffon skirts, tutu shapes and leotards but I'd rather play on that. I'd want to do a twisted, edgy and creepy version of it. Afterall, Black Swan is psychotic and mad in a beautiful form and fashion could be used to convey that. I'd want these sheers mixed with hard materials and Heroin chic make-up in a broken down setting.


These Images from Russh magazine are the kind of initial inspiration I'd be looking at. The conflict of beauty and destruction is perfect to the black swan theme. Then, the next idea would be to look at clothes I would use.

For starters, id be using this. A 1950s circular skirt and corset dress design by Samantha Tretton from DeMontfort University, Leicester.
The design is elegant and pretty but there is something not all perfect about it. I'd stle it with perhaps a leather one shouldered body suit or dress underneath to continue with the rugged touch to the design. Perhaps Rick Owens would have the right piece, or more likely, Margiela. He does some edgy pieces bodysuits that would style well with this whilst alluding to the ballet theme. 
I think something like this would be good with a bit of embellishment such as a full circle dismantled tutu around the waist, cut shorter than the bottom of the dress. 
I noted that this kind of look in Italian Vogue was spectacular , looking at ways to mix corsets and chiffon fabrics together. Brilliant.

But how would I style up a friend or a fashionable teenager if she wanted ideas on how to work the trend ?
Well...

I'd firstly say don't go for the complete obvious. There are many dresses say in Topshop with big tutu skirts or what not, so why not choose something like this.


This Sadie dress by Jones and Jones at Topshop is a little more of an artistic and conceptual take on the ballet idea. Much more Natalie Portman in Black Swan than the generic idea. White tights would go well with this to give a pale and pasty contrast. You wouldn't want to go too heavy on the accessories though
American Apparel have these sheer skirts that can be worn over something like a black leotard or edged up by pairing maybe a graphic top shorts underneath with the skirt on top. In fact, I might try out that look myself tomorrow when I go shopping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment